The Allure of a Fountain
Fri, June 25th, 2021
Fountains come in all shapes, colors and sizes. There are many places that feature a fountain outside such as hospitals, libraries, gated communities, government buildings, office buildings, gardens and parks. Many large homes also display a beautiful fountain by their entrance.
Early fountains were purely functional and provided water for drinking, bathing and washing for people living in villages, cities and towns. Until the late 19th century, fountains needed a water source that was higher than the fountain because they operated on a gravity system and were usually built near an aqueduct or reservoir for the water to flow and jet into the air.
Many fountains back then were built and elaborately decorated to demonstrate power over nature or to glorify individuals. Most of today's fountains are used for decorative purposes or by individuals in cities to cool off during the hot summer months.
One popular place people enjoy adding a fountain is in their garden.
Which Type of Fountain is Best for Use as a Garden Fountain?
If you have decided to add a fountain to your garden, be sure to choose a fountain that will fit your needs and space. Knowing about the different types of garden fountains may help you choose:
- Trough Fountains - This type of fountain is inspired by the "barnyard". They usually have a simple shape and style and can match with just about any architectural style.
- Wall Fountain - A wall fountain is best used in smaller spaces as it requires less room and can easily blend into your garden or courtyard. If you would rather not have it as a focal point, that’s fine because this type of fountain can have a low profile while adding that extra "accent piece" to the surroundings.
- Courtyard Fountain - Courtyard fountains are usually symmetrical, can be seen at any angle and are used when you want to make a visual statement.
- Waterfall Fountain - Waterfall fountains work with the force of gravity and are great to use on a slope or in a rock garden.
- Floating Fountain - This type of fountain is usually partially submerged and is seen as a nozzle in the center of a body of water that shoots water into the air.
Visual and Auditory Appeal of Fountains
Sitting by a fountain can evoke feelings of calm and serenity but you can take the experience to a new level by adding other elements including:
- A fish pond
- Plants and flowers
- Decorative comfortable sitting area
As you can see, the sky is the limit when it comes to dressing up the area around your fountain. Whether you have a fountain at your residence or business, it is important that it runs properly and is kept clean.
No one likes to see a stagnate fountain that has been overrun with green algae. This can turn your peaceful oasis into a maintenance disaster!
Like gardens, all fountains need regular maintenance. Water imbalance problems, equipment abuse, or recurring algae blooms can create costly problems with residential or commercial fountains.
Here at Sweetwater Pool and Fountain Services, we are happy to provide our Marco Island, Naples, Bonita Springs, Estero and Fort Myers neighbors a quote for anything from basic annual fountain maintenance or regular monthly visits to repairs and equipment installation.
Call us today! (239) 775-7665
Sources: Gardinista, Wikipedia